2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt, divided
¾ teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
1 large egg
2 tablespoons plain bread crumbs
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 boneless, skinless chicken breast
½ teaspoon minced garlic (about 1 small clove)
¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 ½ cups diced eggplant (about half a small eggplant)
1 cup crushed tomatoes, with juice
1 slice fresh mozzarella
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190˚C).
2. Combine flour with ½ teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper in a wide bowl. Crack egg into another bowl, whisk it, and place bread crumbs into a third bowl.
3. Coat chicken in flour, then egg, then bread crumbs.
4. Heat 1 ½ teaspoons olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Cook chicken breast until crispy and golden, about 3 minutes on each side. Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
5. Add remaining olive oil, garlic, red pepper flakes, and eggplant to pan and cook until tender, about 3 minutes.
6. Add remaining salt and pepper and crushed tomatoes. Remove pan from heat, top with chicken breast, and place mozzarella on top.
7. Bake until cheese is melted, about 12 minutes.
8. Garnish with chopped basil.